Hyannis Mets - Proud Members of the CCBL since 1976
Hyannis Mets Game Stories

Hyannis Mets Team Coverage 2009

Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Mets Battle Braves in Error Filled Game

Hyannis, MA

Fueled by a three-run first inning and a potent offense the Bourne Braves (24-17) beat the Hyannis Mets (15-26) 7-4 in an error filled game at Mckeon Park to clinch the Western Division title.

Bourne wasted no time and struck early in the game scoring three runs with two outs in the first when a double by Robert Segedin (Tulane) scored Scott Woodward who had reached base on an error. A blooper that dropped in and was legged out for a double by Stefen Romero (OSU) and another bloop single by Raynor Campbell (Baylor) tallied two more for the Braves. A solo home run by Woodward in the fifth and a Woodward single, followed by back-to-back doubles by Kyle Roller (ECU) and Robert Segedin in the bottom of ninth tallied four more runs for the Braves.

Raul Torres (Faulkner) started the game for the Mets and was issued the loss, going six innings giving up five runs on five hits, four of them earned. With the loss Torres falls to 0-1 on the season. Scott Oberg (UConn, 1-0) picked up the win for the Braves, pitching two and two-thirds innings in relief of the starter Alex Wimmers (Ohio State, 2-0). Oberg allowed only one run on one hit on the way to his first win of the season.

The Mets fared much better at the plate tonight, with Jackie Bradley Jr. (USC) and Eddie Rohan (Winthrop) going 2-for-4 at the plate, with Rohan picking up 2 RBIs on the night. Casey Johnson (OU) picked up an RBI when on a hard hit single that scored Bradley for the Mets first run of the game in the fourth, cutting Bournes lead to two runs. Johnny Ruettiger (ASU) also picked up a hit and an RBI on the night for the Mets as Hyannis battled to come back.

The Mets look to take on the Falmouth Commodores tommorow night under the bright lights of McKeon Park in their last home game of the season.

Saturday, August 1, 2009


Hyannis Blows Another Lead to Lose 8-7

Hyannis led for eight innings in this game, only to let it slip away in the ninth.
Chatham catcher Phil Pohl led off the ninth with a single through the right side. With the leadoff man on, Mark Gormley induced a soft grounder to first baseman Ryan Cuneo. With Gormley running to cover first base, Cuneo hesitated in retreating to the bag. He instead opted to flip it to Gormley who reached the bag as Oropesa, the Chatham DH, was already safe. Runners now on first and second, Chatham second baseman Tom Belza dropped down a successful sacrifice bunt, moving both runners along. Short stop Tyler Rhamatulla followed suit with a deep double to the right centerfield gap scoring Pohl and Oropesa. Gormley would get the next two batters, but the damage was already done.

The Mets would threaten in the ninth inning, putting men on the corners with two outs. However former Met Russell Brewer would get Jackie Bradley Junior to line out softly to second base for his 8th save of the season.

Kevin Brandt started for Hyannis, scattering five hits over four plus innings of work. He avoided big damage in his outing, stranding six runners in his first four innings, including a bases loaded jam in the third. Dallas Gallant relieved him in the fifth, striking out two Anglers to keep the Mets up by 2 at the time. Gallant would throw another 2 and 2/3 innings giving up 4 runs total in his 3.2 innings of work.

Hyannis scored the bulk of their runs in the first inning, putting up four runs with the help of some sloppy play and wildness from Chatham pitcher Logan Verrett. After Verrett walked the bases loaded, Bradley Jr. plated two runners with a lined single up the middle. Newcomer Andrew Manning (UAB) would reach on a throwing error by the third basemen which resulted in another two runs coming across as the throw sailed into right field.

The Mets finished their scoring in the 6th inning after they put three more across with the help of the Anglers pitchers. There were three walks in the inning, including a bases loaded walk to Hyannis DH Andrew Manning.

Mark Gormley takes his fourth loss of the season. Jesse Hahn gets his first win of the summer for Chatham.

The Mets play at Y-D Saturday afternoon.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009


Wareham Opens Offensive Gates on Hyannis

Hyannis, MA

George Springer (UConn) hit a three run homerun in the top of the fifth inning and Blake Monar (Indiana) pitched seven solid innings to lead the Wareham Gatemen (18-15) to a 10-3 victory over the struggling Hyannis Mets (14-22) on a foggy night in Hyannis.

Seth Rosin (Minn,1-2) started the game for the Mets and was issued his first loss; going only 4 innings giving up three runs on five hits, with two of them earned. Rosin gave up a run early after Derek Dietrich (GT) hit a 1 out double and then scored after George Springer reached first on an error. Though Rosin's fastball was consistently in the low 90's his outing was anything but. After sailing through the second inning he ran into some trouble in the top of third when he dropped a ball while trying to cover first and then gave up two, two out singles, before he was able to work his way out of the inning. Rosin came out to the start the fifth inning, but gave the ball up to Jimmy Messer (UNC) before he faced anyone in the inning. Messer gave up a leadoff walk to Dietrick and a pefectly executed bunt by Connor Rowe (Texas) that Rowe beat the tag on; before George Springer hammered a three run homerun to make it 7-1.

Hyannis looked as if they were not going to go down without a fight tonight as early as the first inning when a leadoff double by Johnny Ruettiger (ASU) dropped a double under the glove of a diving George Springer. Ryan Graepel (UNC) then reached on an error, and a double that was cranked by Ryan Cuneo to the left field fence drove in Ruettiger to tie the game at one a piece. The Mets would tally two in the bottom of the fifth when Kenny Swab (Young Harris) reached on an infield single and was moved along the basepaths by a Trent Whitehead (ECU) walk, and then driven in by Elliot Soto (Creighton). Whitehead then scored on a failed pickoff attempt at third base. Hyannis would be shutout for the next four innings.

Blake Monar was issued his second win of the season, and improves to 2-3 on the season, going seven innings, giving up three runs on seven hits with six strikeouts. Matt Barnes (UConn) picked up his first save of the season for the Gatemen.

Notables of the game included Alex Dickerson (Indiana) who went 2-for-5 with a solo home-run and an RBI and Jake Lemmerman (Duke) and Shea Vucinich (Washington State) both picked up RBI's on the night for Wareham. On the Hyannis side Ryan Cuneo (Delaware) went 2-for-3 with an RBI and Elliot Soto picked up an RBI on the night as well.

The Hyannis Mets look to take on the Chatam Anglers Friday night at home under the bright lights of McKeon Park at 7pm.

Sunday, July 26, 2009


Mets Lose Offensive Battle

Last night at McKeon Park the Mets (12-20) were defeated 6-8 in a slugging contest with the Orleans Firebirds (18-15). Both teams made solid contact with the ball, hitting a combined total of 20 hits. More than half of the hits took place in the sixth and seventh innings, but solid contact was not the only factor that made those innings exciting.

Until the sixth inning, the Mets were ahead 1-0. Nick Crawford scored the Mets' solo run in the first inning thanks to a sacrifice bunt by Ryan Graepel (UNC) and an RBI single by Ryan Cuneo (Delaware).

The Firebirds finally scored in the sixth and gained the 2-1 lead after an unfortunate series of events for the Mets. The designated hitter for Orleans, Jaren Matthews (Rutgers) led off the inning for the Firebirds. Matthews crushed a fly ball to deep left center field, that should have been a routine pop out. However, Mets' left fielder, Johnny Ruetigger (AZU) lost sight of the ball in the lights and fog, which allowed Matthews to reach second.

With their clean up batter (Alex Hassan) at the plate, the Firebirds had runners on first and third with no outs, due to a successful bunt by Riccio Torrez (AZU). Hassan crushed the ball to deep left center field. Mets center fielder, Trent Whitehead (East Carolina), tried to locate the ball, but he too fell victim to the harsh lights and glowing fog. Hassan reached third, scoring Matthews and Torrez.

The Mets responded in the bottom of the inning with their own offensive weapons. Graepel led off by reaching first on an error by the shortstop. Cuneo followed with a solid single to right field. Dustin Harrington (East Carolina) then tied the game with a double that scored Graepel. The go ahead runs were then driven in by Dan "Mini van" Burkhart ( Ohio State) with a single to right field.

With two outs and runners on first and second (two singles by Reuttiger and Bradley Jr.) Whitehead ripped the ball down the first base line. His hustle brought him to third and the Mets scored their fourth and fifth run of the inning, giving them a 6-2 lead.

In the seventh, Mets' pitcher, Kevin Moran (Boston College) loaded the bases with a single and two walks. Moran then hit a batter for the a run scored. Moran was replaced by Chris Haney (Dallas Baptist). Before Haney even threw one pitch, the head umpire warned both benches after a few words were exchanged between Haney, the batter at bat (Hassan) and the Firebird's dugout.

With two runners on the base and in the presence of tension and high emotions, Hassan sent a bullet to right center field. Hassan reached second on a throwing error and one run scored. Hassan crossed home plate two batters later when left fielder, Kevin Muno (San Diego) hit a double just over Ruetigger's head. Then on Muno's attempt to steal third the catcher, Burkhart, threw the ball away in his effort to get Muno out. Muno scored on the missed opportunity for out number three and the Firebirds went up 8-6, which was the final score.

The loss was issued to Moran. The Mets look next to take on Brewster tonight in a double header.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009


Whitecaps Hold Mets in the 9th to Win 1-0

Hyannis, MA

Matt Lojan (San Francisco) pitched 6 scoreless innings and four Brewster pitchers contributed to a combined shutout as the Brewster Whitecaps (12-15) beat the Hyannis Mets (12-18) 1-0. Defense proved to be the decisive factor in tonights game, as both teams had outstanding pitching and executed defensive plays perfectly, while struggling at the plate equally.

It looked as if the Hyannis Mets would lead off the scoring when Dustin Harrington (ECU) hit a single to lead-off the bottom of the second, followed by a Eddie Rohan (Winthrop) single. Kenny Swab (Young Harris) executed a perfect sacrifice bunt to move Harrington to third base and Rohan to second. Lojan would pitch out of the jam though getting Jackie Bradley Jr. (South Carolina) to strike out and Elliot Soto (Creighton) to ground out.

Brewster would tally the one and only run of the game in the top of the fifth when Harold Martinez (Miami) hit an RBI single to between first and second base to score Tant Shepherd, who had reached on an infield single to lead-off the inning; and was moved to third on a single by Daniel Butler (Arizona).

Tyler Wilson (Virginia) started the game for the Mets, and was issued the loss, falling to 1-1 on the season. Wilson pitched seven strong innings giving up one run on four hits with five strikeouts. Kevin Moran (BC) came in and threw one strong inning of relief in the eighth before Dallas Gallant (Sam Houston)closed out Brewster in the top of ninth, striking out two in the process.

The Mets would not got down with out a fight though, as Tyler Thornberg (Charleston Southern) issued a lead-off walk to Johnny Ruettiger (ASU), which was followed by a Ryan Cuneo single, and a sacrifice bunt by Harrington to move runners into scoring position. However, Hyannis couldn't bring the runs home as Thornberg pitched his way out of the jam, getting Dan Burkhart to groundout to first base, which was then thrown home to prevent the run, and Bradley grounded into second base to end the inning.

Matt Lojan picked up the win for the Whitecaps and improves to 1-3 on the season. Lojan only gave up two hits and struck out five on the way to his first win of the season. Stayton Thomas (Texas), Fultz, and Tyler Thornberg all contributed to the shutout for Brewster, with Thornberg picking up his fourth save of the season.

The Mets will take on the Falmouth Commodores at Arnie Allen Diamond in Falmouth on Friday at 7 pm after the All-Star Break.

Monday, July 20, 2009


Buchanan Tosses Three-hit Shutout against Mets

HYANNIS - Occasionally a baseball team will come across a starting pitcher who is simply unbeatable for that specific game. On Friday night, Cotuit starter Jake Buchanan (NC State) was that pitcher, throwing a complete game, three-hit shutout against the Hyannis Mets. Buchanan mixed a 90 mph fastball with a solid breaking pitch as he kept Mets hitters off balance all night. The six-foot sophomore allowed only one hit after the second inning and stuck out 11 Mets while throwing over 100 pitches.

The game began as a pitching duel, with Hyannis starter Austin Hudson (Central Florida) tossing nearly six innings while allowing only two runs in the sixth inning. Kevin Brandt (East Carolina) had a strong effort in relief, pitching two and two-thirds innings while giving up only an unearned run. Jimmy Messer (North Carolina) finished out the night for the Mets, recording the final two outs of the ninth inning.

As expected during a complete game shutout, the Hyannis offense was quiet the entire night with no baserunners reaching as far as second base. Dustin Harrington (East Carolina), Jackie Bradley Jr. (South Carolina), and Trent Whitehead (East Carolina) each had one hit against Buchanan.

The Mets will be back in action in Orleans Tuesday night at 7 p.m.

Sunday, July 19, 2009


Harwich Hangs On, Mets Lose 2-4

HYANNIS- The Mets' offense was shut down tonight during their competition at McKeon Park against the Harwich Mariners (12-17). The only excitement for the Mets (12-16) came in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Johnny Ruetigger (who went 2-3) led off the inning with a single to left field. Jackie Bradley Jr. (South Carolina) followed with a walk to keep the hopeful rally alive. Next, designated hitter Eddie Rohan (Winthrop) ripped a ground ball to third base that only resulted in one out.

With two outs in the inning, Trent Whitehead (East Carolina) crushed a ball to left field that rattled the chain-linked fence. Whitehead reached third while clearing the bases, batting in the Mets only two runs.

Nick Crawford was then walked on a full count, putting the tying run on first and raising the excitement throughout the park.

With Elliot Soto at the plate, the umpire called a pitch, strike two, that the fans highly disagreed with. After the fans (and coaches) settled down the next pitch was thrown. Soto swung and missed, and just as fast as the Mets' spirits rose, they fell.

On a happier note, tonight was the debut of the Mets' mascot, a giant osprey. If you missed our new friend, he will be at the next home game which is tomorrow night against Cotuit. Game time is set for 7 PM. See you there!

-G. Menario


June 2009

July 2009

August 2009

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]